Tuesdays with Colie Week 2

1/17/2012


taken from page 55 of 'tuesdays with morrie'

Unlike week one, this week's lesson hit me like a ton of bricks.
The other day I spoke about how I tend to worry far too much. : /
I believe that in that worry, I start feeling sorry for myself at times.

Do you have those moments?
I'm sure they happen far more often than we would like to admit.

Every time I read about Morrie in the last stages of his life, it always seems to tug at some emotion in my heart.
It makes me stop and remember that life truly is a beautiful thing.
Mitch says that even for Morrie, a dying man, who could no longer stand, barely wash/feed himself, or pull up his pants thought that he was lucky.
LUCKY!
Can you believe it?
That seems like a bit crazy since we tend to fret over even the smallest of things not going our way.
I think Morrie was special, though. 
I hope only to be more like him. :)

Mitch once asked Morrie if he felt sorry for himself.
This was his response:

"Sometimes, in the mornings. Thats when I mourn. I feel around my body, I move my fingers and hands - whatever I can still move - and I mourn what I've lost. I mourn the slow, insidious way in which I'm dying. But then I stop mourning. I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life. On the people who are coming to see me. On the stories I'm going to hear. On you - if its Tuesday. Because we're Tuesday people."

It is okay to be hurt, to worry, to be sad, to struggle, to feel broken.
Just remember that you are alive and that you have purpose.
In the mist of what we face, I hope we remember that life is short.
(and. so. very. precious.)

Don't feel sorry for yourself.
Be proud. 
Be grateful.
Give thanks.
Smile often.

HAPPY, HAPPY TUESDAY!
much love, friends.

(PS) ---> Mitch said that visiting with his old professor was like 'a cleansing rinse of human kindness'. 
So don't just remember to be kind to others, but remember to be kind to yourself. 
If you have made it this far in your life, then you are doing good. 
Until next week's lesson ...

No comments:

Post a Comment